Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Apologies for the gap in posts

Due to a medical challenge in the family, I have been too busy to write for the past few months. I hope to remedy that this winter. Sorry for the lapse! I have plans to finish getting you all up to speed on our progress, and some really interesting links I want to share.

First, I found a yahoo group that specializes in meat rabbits. Check it out! And I hear there's one that specifically deals with colony-style housing for meat rabbits. I haven't been to that one yet, but look forward to it. I figure I will collect wisdom from both of these groups and apply it to our little set-up here.

We've been modifying our two-story condo a bit, trying to find the best method of containing the waste from the weanlings as they live out their last month up top. I'll write in detail on that later.

We have successfully harvested two litters now, and boy, they are delicious! My initial uncertainty is gone. I am no longer squeamish about eating them. Of course, I'm still not the one butchering them... my husband is. We'll ask him how he's doing soon.

Lastly, I shall leave you with a link to a beautiful video on how to respectfully and humanely harvest a chicken. The woman talking you through it is a lovely soul. :) You'll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_S3P0eU0lE

No comments:

Post a Comment